Manager, Sector InnovationPublished: April 4th 2023
Reporting to the Director, Sector Innovation and offering valuable support to the Director, Innovation Programs, the Manager, Sector Innovation is a dynamic role that serves as a valuable link between the Directors, our internal team members, and external partners, helping to ensure that our programs and projects run smoothly.
In this role, you’d be actively involved in outward-facing business development priorities and helping our team build strong and trusting relationships with our partners in a manner that supports successful proposal development, in addition to optimizing internal Sector Innovation activities and implementation. If you possess both a passion for science and a business mindset, this could be a great match!
Why this Position is Important to our Organization
As the Manager, Sector Innovation, you amplify the efficiency of our team. You take pride in acting as a crucial bridge between the Director, Sector Innovation and Director, Innovation Programs. You also help our organization generate and develop leads and transform them into well-crafted initiatives, proposals and effectively executed projects that have a meaningful impact on the sectors we support and serve.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Actively engage in helping our team turn ideas into funded projects with meaningful impact
- Work in close collaboration with the Director, Sector Innovation to effectively manage sector innovation activities and workflows
- Develop trusting relationships with key sector partners including, but not limited to, private industry, academia, research, universities, not-for-profits, and industry associations
- Manage Business Development administration and logistics
- Actively manage team lead generation activities and processes
- Manage, update, and optimize our Client Relationship Management (CRM) database
- Independently manage assigned business development priorities
- Support the preparation of contracts and proposals
- Organize and actively participate in meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Schedule and host effective meetings, including support on any action items
- Actively seek to learn about and understand the work carried out by companies and researchers in Atlantic Canada, including the ones we’ve partnered with
- Collaborate with the Director, Sector Innovation to help organize engaging panels and events on behalf of Genome Atlantic
- Attend meetings and conferences with (and on behalf of) the Genome Atlantic team
- Participate in work groups and sit on internal and external committees, as required
- Proactively pitch in to support colleagues and ensure a fair and balanced workload
Skills and Experience
- Graduate–level science degree preferred OR bachelor’s degree (Science, Technology, or Engineering), with an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- A minimum of 5 years of directly relevant work experience is required, preferably related to science and technology
- Proven ability to effectively understand and communicate complex scientific concepts to a variety of audiences, including team members, stakeholders, and partners
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to write clear, concise, and grammatically correct reports, proposals, and other documents
- Prior business writing and proposal development experience preferred
- Excellent prioritization skills with the ability to manage multiple activities concurrently
- Highly organized with an unwavering commitment to follow-up and follow-through
- Brings a team-oriented mindset and a good sense of humour to foster a positive workplace
- Demonstrated growth mindset with an eagerness to learn
- Naturally inquisitive and skilled at initiating and building strong relationships
- Agile and flexible with a sound understanding of the business environment and supporting the innovation ecosystem
- Sound technical skills, including proficiency in MSOffice suite
- Experience in the agriculture sector, life sciences and/or natural resources is an asset
- Prior academic or industry research experience is an asset
- Exposure to the Bioscience sector, Genomics and other associated technologies is an asset
- Experience with CRMs would be considered an asset
- Experience working with government agencies and funding partners is an asset
We value teamwork, connection, and efficiency… and we also enjoy a good laugh! Working the majority of the time from our head office allows for easier communication and collaboration between team members and stakeholders. This hybrid role offers a combination of mandatory in-office workdays and the option to work remotely part of the time.
While the remote work option offers some flexibility, this is primarily an in-office position based out of our head office in Downtown Halifax with some expectation of travel outside the province.
How to Apply
We’re thrilled that you’re interested in applying for the Manager, Sector Innovation position! To be considered for the role, please send us your cover letter and resume combined into a single document, with your first and last name in the title.
In your cover letter, we’d love to hear about why you think you’d be a great fit for this position, including any career accomplishments that demonstrate your suitability for the role. We also welcome your thoughts on how you could contribute to our team dynamic.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Manager, Sector Innovation”. We can’t wait to hear from you!
The closing date for priority selection is Sunday, April 23rd, 2023 however, we will continue to accept resumes after this date until the position is filled.
Individual accommodations due to a disability are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, citizenship status, marital status, or actual or perceived sexual orientation.
Genome Atlantic is committed to creating an inclusive environment and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We value diversity and recognize that experience comes in many forms and skills are transferable. Please view this description as a general overview rather than a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe you have the skills to contribute and lead in this role, apply!
We thank all interested parties; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About Genome Atlantic
Genomics is a powerful combination of genetics, biology and computer science. It provides us with the unprecedented ability to better understand all living things, leading to a host of opportunities across a variety of sectors. Genome Atlantic is a not-for-profit corporation with a mission to develop and lead a program of genomics R&D that delivers tangible economic, social and environmental benefits to Atlantic Canada.
We connect ideas and people across public and private sectors to find new uses for genomics, invest in large-scale science and technology to fuel innovation, and translate discoveries into solutions across key sectors of national importance. Key sectors include health, agriculture and agri-food, forestry, fisheries and aquaculture, the environment, energy, and mining. Together with our many partners, we have enabled over $150 million in strategic R&D since our inception in 2000.